The entire month of April is dedicated to raising awareness of Parkinson’s. In an effort to raise awareness, it is a good time to talk about some of the possible early signs of this neurological disease. It is also a good time to discuss how Parkinson patients could benefit from the use of a company that offers home care in Los Angeles.
Learning More about Parkinson’s
Parkinson’s is classified as a neurological disorder. It is progressive in nature, which means that it starts off with slight symptoms and slowly progresses into more advanced problems.
Some of the signs and symptoms associated with Parkinson’s disease include:
- Starting to shake or tremor in various body parts including the hands, legs, feet, and lips
- Sudden and unexplained changes in how you sleep
- Handwriting becomes unreadable
- Walking in a stooped over fashion
- Changes in motor skill
- Inability to show emotion no matter how sad, upset or angry you become
- Sudden changes in speech patterns – speech becomes slurred or you speak in a lower tone than normal
There is no specific test that can be ordered to diagnose Parkinson’s. Instead, a doctor who has experience working with neurological disorders will make a diagnosis based on your symptoms, previous medical history, and a complete examination. Some tests may be run, such as blood work, MRI, PET scans, or ultrasounds, to eliminate other medical conditions that could be causing your symptoms.
Diagnosing Parkinson’s can take time. It isn’t something that will happen overnight. It could take several appointments with a neurologist to eventually be diagnosed with Parkinson’s. During those appointments, the neurologist will track and monitor your symptoms to see if there is any change.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for Parkinson’s. However, researchers are working hard to come up with a cure. Until a cure is discovered, you can only manage and control the symptoms of Parkinson’s. This is usually done through medication, occupational/physical/speech therapy, and making various lifestyle changes.
How Parkinson’s Patients Benefit from Home Care in Los Angeles
Maintaining a certain level of independence after a Parkinson’s diagnosis is important. Using a company that offers home care in Los Angeles, like Dynamic Nursing, can allow you or your parent to receive help with day-to-day tasks while still being able to keep your independence and live at home.
Home care services can be customized to meet the individual needs of the Parkinson’s patient. Working closely with a care manager who has specialty training in Parkinson’s care, a customized plan can be created that includes all the services you need to help you or a loved one stay independent.
Some examples of the home care services that can help Parkinson’s patients include:
- Cognitive stimulation
- Companionship that can calm anxiety and relieve stress
- Assistance with bathing, dressing, meal preparation, exercise, and feeding
- Performing light housekeeping tasks such as folding laundry, doing the dishes, and taking out the trash
- Transportation to and from doctor appointments
- Medication management and medication reminders
- Access to physical therapists, speech therapists, and occupations therapists
- Nursing care provided by skilled nurses
- Access to medical social workers who will help you find the best programs and services
A Parkinson’s diagnosis comes with many difficulties. Luckily, you don’t have to face those difficulties and challenges on your own. With the help of caring individuals at a company, like Dynamic Nursing, that offers home care in Los Angeles, you can find that many of life’s difficulties are made easier. Call us today to learn more about the Parkinson’s home care services that Dynamic Nursing offers.